Southern California Biotechnology Center
Housed at San Diego Miramar College since 2004, the SCBC has developed industry responsive training that serves the region. Initiatives include:
- Registered Life Sciences Apprenticeships - are a Unique Opportunity to get your work done and build your future workforce at the same time. The Southern California Biotechnology Center at San Diego Miramar College is working with the Rx Research Services Foundation and the CA Division of Apprenticeship services to assist the life sciences industry to implement an apprenticeship strategy into their workforce. The Obama administration believes this is the way to go and has recently invested $200 million in this effort. More information about how you can participate in these first ever STEM apprenticeships is found here for companies or here for future apprentices.
- Medical Laboratory Technician Training: Both the traditional clinical laboratory and Biotechnology Industry have clamored for lab technicians with clinical skills and credentials. In response to the industry, San Diego Miramar College developed a program that serves both traditional clinical labs and the life science industry as a whole. Southwestern College focused on a program aimed at hospital laboratories.
- Wireless Health Training Center: In response to convergence of information technology and medical devices the SCBC has established the Wireless Health Training Center to focus on the training needs of this emerging sub-sector of the life sciences industry. The Training Center is working with industry to develop credentials that anticipate workforce needs and partners to develop effective internship programs that develop employees for this new area.
- Workshops for well-educated college students with a chemistry and biology background: BEST, Biotechnology Employment Skills Training, designed to give entry level and job search skills in a short 4 day format.
- Quality 101, a short course with practical training is in development.
The SCBC prides itself on helping individual job seekers develop their careers with resume assistance and in helping companies find trained individuals.
For more information contact:
Sandra Slivka Ph.D.
Phone: 619 388 7490